Are Smart phones really smart?

On the roads, when a girl walks past us with an air of attitude and beauty, spreading the sweet perfume of her’s in the air, we make a silent mental note of it. Then later we talk about her to our friends and say “Dude, she was like Aishwarya Rai da…my God, the image is still there in my mind”.

That’s how the mind works. Can’t help it. We often associate the things that manage to capture our attention to the Best ones that prevail/exist. (Now, please don’t argue that Ash might not be the best, there is always a Jolie…that was just a metaphor!) Similar patterns of subconscious analysis and comparison can be found in the way we perceive smart phones too.

Let me tell you how.

HOW? my favorite mechanism again…”Questioning”…
 
Q: What is a smart phone?
A: Simply put, a phone/connectivity device that defines simplified and intuitive ways of achieving the same goals, which in other “not so smart” phones would take about 5-10 different buttons being pressed in various combinations!

When we say smart, it can again be compared to a person. If the looks is all that ever mattered, then they must be called handsome/beautiful phones and not as smart phones.

We call a person smart looking into the real potential the person has got, not just by the looks. Of course looks matter too, but not as much as the functional aspects. Looks should essentially incline towards the ergonomics of the device.

Unfortunately, our Aishwarya Rai (BTW, Ash… if you are reading this post, I am not offending you by these mentions in this post, you are the best mechanism that can take me closer to the Indian minds…thank u for that.) kinda mindset  makes us terribly addicted to the notion that a QWERTY and loads of internet connectivity options is what makes a smart phone. Well, in a way yes. These can be compared to Hrithik Roshan’s dressing style, but the question is, is that all he is? There is more skills to him right?

Q: So…What is a smart mobile (in my humble opinion)…?
A: Its the stuff inside buddy!

I would call a device smart, if it can exhibit those little differentiating elements that a smart person would have over an average person.

So here is the checklist:

LOOKS :
1. A very robust keypad QWERTY or a really smart T9 logic backed normal keypad.

2. A display that which is visible at most, if not all angles.

3. A good hold feel, what good would be a beautiful/handsome girl/guy if you can’t hold her/him all day?!

4. A headphone jact which can fit a generic headphone pin (3.5mm), in short the supports should be more standards specific. Why would a smart company want to trap me into buying their headphones and accessories till I get fed up with the device?

5. Make it robust, just because I call it a smart phone doesn’t mean I am smart user, I will sleep on it entangled in the headphone wires, I will spill coffee on phone ( I update my tweets when I have coffee or lunch …mostly), I am an outdoors person so please do something for the dust and moisture.

Feel: In designer’s lingo we call it UX (User Experience). The device should be smart enough to cater the most complicated of services like email’ing and document creation/editing with utmost ease and intuitiveness. If reaching any point/target in the menu takes more than three clicks or taps, please lets not call it smart, its then just another wanna be smarty! Imagine…what if you save half a second everytime you move across the menu? YOU JUST RECLAIMED YOUR LIFE MAN!!!

Software: Now we are talking business! This is where I wanted to come until now! The software is the real deal, and can very well be compared to the brains of a smart person. I would not make the slightest compromise on this!!! No bugs, No hanging, better memory management please…after all  a smart person manages stress with ease right?! So should the smart phone do.

Extended services:

1. I would like to buy not just the phone, but the services that come along with it, every single using moment I wish to be reminded of the fact that I am using a device, the makers of which, make it a commitment in making me feel that I am a king (hey…I don’t claim myself to be a king! Don’t gimme that look,please!…corporates call customers the King right?! that’s why I chose the word.)

2. I wish there should a personal cloud space for me when I buy a smart phone for synchronising (now that includes a good server as well!) all my data (be it relevant or irrelevant…that’s immaterial when striving to cater the best services).

3. Proper scheduled updates and patches of softwares to help my mobile stay smart. Any smart person would know the value of continued learning, just like them the smart phones can/should never afford to get obsolete.

These are the expectations of an average Indian guy, fresh out of college into the software industry, with money to buy phone/s and services (also called “your potential customer”). Make something quickly for me, I am all ears!

Quick Conclusion :
  • A smart phone is not just a QWERTY mobile with Fun-filled components.
  • Its the inside stuff that matters the most, in real world they call it software!
  • After the sale, I should not feel like an obsolete dumbo…the services do matter.
  • Remember : Holding a smart mobile, doesn’t mean I am smart.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels